Sunday, August 30, 2009

rocky mountain high colorado.days 3 and 4

Gday ,
Day 3 and 4 have had there challenges as expected.Yesterdays climb was even harder than the previous day but this time i could also enjoy the ride down.Again i had to stop every 50 to 100 yards to get my breath due to the altitude but the good thing about that it gives you time to soak in the beauty .

I arrived pretty tired at a place called Brekenridge which is really nice and a womans dream with an amazing variety of shops.As usual i found a place to sleep outside only to be woken up a few hours later by the rain.I soon found the cover for my sleeping bag wasnt as water proof as it was meant to be and slowly i became wet.

Eventually i had enough and got up feeling not to happy but decided to check my mobile to see if a mate had texted me the footy scores.Well i found something better than that which was that the folks from St Lukes church had taken up a collection and raised 300 dollars for me.This is from a small church that you wouldnt call affluent.

This was on top of the normal 250 they are giving me once a month while i am on this journey.I was down to my last 45 dollars so sitting there in the wet at 6am that was a nice way to cheer me up.Thats the thing i am finding about this trip.If i am having a hard day God always seems to have a way of bringing a positive so i dont get down for long.

The opposite is true to in that when things seem to be cruising they have a way of suddenly changing and a different challenge presents itself.While each day has the same cycling routine ya never know what to expect.Storms come and go so quickly.It looked like i was heading into one today ,it was so cold.I had 6 layers of clothing on including my poncho yet 10 miniutes later the sun was out and i am looking for my sunglasses and down to 2 layers.

I feel that God really wants me to know He loves me and i can trust Him.Its easy to believe that in your head but its another thing to believe it in your heart.A couple of weeks ago while riding something went wrong and i really spat the dummy and told God that i didnt believe He loved me and was playing mind games.What shocked me was i said it with such conviction from a place deep within my heart.

I really had to acknowledge that and my prayer since has been that i will receive a revelation of that so whatever happens in my life i will see that He is there in the midst of it bringing good out of it and seeing that the worst low in life is when we can have the greatest high with Him.Again thats easy to say but how deep is that belief.

He is showing me His charecter in so many ways.Trust is a big thing.I have to trust Him in 3 areas on this ride. 1.That He will give me the strength to get to the end of the ride. 2.That He will provide for me along the way .Its a bit hard riding up hill on an empty stomach.Its a sad fact that about 2 billion people in the world arnt sure of there next meal and when you arnt sure of ya next meal it certainly challenges your faith. 3. Is that He will provide a significant amount of funds for Home of the Open Heart. This is the one i have battled with most because it will simply not happen if He doesnt do it.

So its an interesting time.Its against our human nature to trust in this way as we all want to think we are and can control out own destiny without any outside help especially from a God we cant see or touch and sometimes doubt He is there and could possibly care about us pathetic creatures.

Even tonight as i was riding into this new town and i thought God i havent had a shower for nearly 4 days ,i dont want to sleep out in the cold again .I want a nice warm bed and get a good sleep but i didnt have enough money for the normal cost of a room.I found out about a hostel that charges 20 dollars and i just had enough to pay and even better its not a dive but a really lovely ,cosy and warm house.

Well its late so i better make the most of that bed.Goodnight and God bless.
Bernie

No comments:

Post a Comment