Friday, August 14, 2009

nebraska and some more

Howdy Folks,
I am now half way across Nebraska and though hot and windy its not to bad.I had a good time last night when i arrived at a small town in a place called Poke. I was just deciding which tree i would sleep under when a guy Jeff on his motor bike invited me back to his place for a meal and he let me stay the night.His wife and three kids where great and very hospitable and it was a great time.
There have been some good times like that along the way and times when i have a real sence of freedom ,with the sun on me and a breeze and ya think how good is this ,riding across America.I rememeber one time i knew a storm was coming and i really hate riding in the rain so i was dreading it as i was out miles from anywhere.

As it started to come down i just made it to under a bridge that gave me enough protection.I was not sure if it would pass soon or i would have to ride on in it but as i sat there i had this sence of a deep peace and presence of God.I felt i could have stayed all day but when the rain stopped 30 mins later so did this feeling and in felt a bit disappointed it was over.

So there are good times,i dont want to share just those harder trials.A big part of why i am doing this is to try and find a greater reality of who God is.I am glad now that i am doing this by myself because i think having someone with me would be a distraction from achieving that .We all need to draw away at times to find the real reason we are here for.

I really like the ywam community i live at and my church at St Lukes but it is very easy at times to drift along and become comfortable and enjoy all the good things but still not have ya heart where it should be .God cleans up the mess you come to Him with, the addictions and whatever but there is so much more and i think i want to find out about the more.I certainly hope that happens along the way.I have had a little taste here and there.

Some other MAJOR things i have discovered about America are .They dont have outside taps ,i have to fill my water bottles in the toilet or the restroom as they politely call them here.They have the best donuts in the world ,yum.The drivers are funny when it comes to passing bicycle riders.Maybe its because i havent come across any riders using main roads or highways and drivers arnt use to seeing people riding along but they go way over to the other side if no car is coming and try and stay well clear .Thats great because in Australia i think alot of drivers play the game of seeing how close they can get without hiting you.

Americans also have a religiousity that i havent found at home.That is not always so good. Religion can be such a counterfeit and can seem almost like the real thing but isnt.Take away the facade and you have a people as in need of a genuine experiance and a life that shows that as people in any non christian country.

You can have some strange thought as ya riding along.I was thinking the other day whatever happened to Jethro from the beverly hillbillies.Now you would have to be about my age to remember it but if you do you would think it pretty wierd to think of Jethro.

Well its time to get back on the saddle.Thanks for taking the time to read .Continue to pray for Gods provision for Paul and Penny fom Home of the Open Heart to be able to build a place for the babies with AIDS ,to give them the care they need and help with the other work they are doing.Check out more details on their website .

Thanks for all your prayers ,support and finances in helping me get this far.Still along way to go but as i tell myself many times ,its one day at a time.

Bless you all,
Bernie

1 comment:

  1. Remember my son, with faith you can move mountains. Yea indeed, travel over mountains, no matter how rocky, no matter how high. God bless you on your journey! Now gird your loins and grab those handle bars once again. Once again grit your teeth. Do it for the Crows! Do it for Port! Do it for Greg Albrecht, Michael Lacey and the Flemmo! But mostly do it for the Children. Blisters are blessed!

    ReplyDelete