Friday, June 19, 2009

Getting ready

Its June 18th and only 6 more days to go until i leave for a bicycle ride across America of nearly 8,000 kms which will be the biggest challenge of my life thus far.I am sure there will be lots of great times and also difficult ones and i just hope my body and mind are up for it.
There were so many frustrations and trying times just to get to this point,like months spent trying to get a good quality brochure made .Then there was a hold up with the visa.Yes i use to smoke the green stuff many years ago and it seemed the USA was not be very forgiving of my past sins there for a while.
Then there has been the 3 to 4 hours of bike riding a day ,up hills and mountains in all sorts of weather over the past 20 months in preparation.At times i seriously thought i had bitten off more than i could chew and that may still be found to be the case ,but at least i am almost at the starting line.
I pick up my brand new bike in a couple of days which will be a great improvement on a mates bike i have used this last week which doesnt even have brakes.I have been coming down hills when lights turn red and have to try and stop by scrapping my foot along the ground.Its all good fun eh .
My real hope is that people will get behind the ride and give whatever they can to help make someones life a little better.We may not be able to change the world but we each can help in small or big ways to alleviate some of the suffering of those in great need.

2 comments:

  1. Good one Bernie hey new bike? what sort is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bernie :)
    1 more day?!?!
    You're a legend
    :) Love Amy

    ReplyDelete